May 22, 2019 – 3:30 PM
The National Weather Service has issued a Flood Warning for Independence, Kansas. The Verdigris is predicted to rise to near 42.2 feet by 6 PM Wednesday evening. The river is expected to fall below flood stage (30 feet) sometime next week.
A river height of 42.2’ will cause flooding of the following locations in Independence:
- North Park Blvd between Cottonwood and Parkhurst (including the baseball field complex)
- South Pennsylvania Ave between Cedar and the South City limits
- South 8th, 9th and 10th Street between Birch and the South City Limits
- Cement Street between Coffeyville Avenue and the South City Limits
- South 1st, 2nd, Park Blvd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th near the South City Limits
Due to the rising Verdigris river, the City of Independence has closed the Pine Street access to the City Dam.
Citizens should be weather aware, avoid driving in high water and be prepared to evacuate if needed.
The City of Independence will continue to monitor the situation closely and will update as conditions change. Citizens can monitor the City, Police and Fire-EMS webpage and Facebook page for updates and in the event, flash flooding occurs, the City will use our Civic Ready Alert system. You can sign up for Civic Ready Alerts at this link: https://independence-ks-area.regroup.com/signup
David Cowan, Emergency Preparedness Director