Neighborhood Exterior Grant Program
This program administered by the City of Independence in conjunction with the Independence Housing Authority helps homeowners living in the Neighborhood Revitalization Districts reinvest in their properties and improve neighborhoods. 2 or more neighboring homeowners must submit co-applications to participate. The City of Independence will reimburse each co-applicant a portion of the actual costs of improvements to their homes.
$1,000 (minimum per co-applicant)
$5,000 (maximum per co-applicant)
To take part in the Neighborhood Exterior Grant Reimbursement Program a property cannot be located in a flood plain and must meet one of three requirements: 1) be located in a Neighborhood Revitalization District; or 2) your property must be valued at $100,000 or less by Montgomery County records, or 3) your property must be rated as an Average Minus or below by Montgomery County records.
To learn more about the Neighborhood Revitalization Tax Rebate and to fill out an application, please visit our website.
- Façade restoration
- Exterior painting or siding
- Window and door repair or replacement
- Exterior lighting or electrical work
- Building additions
- Front porch repair
- Driveway repair or installation
- Landscaping (limited to 20% of the total project if not related to integral components of the structural integrity)
- Tree removal (limited to 20% of the total project if not related to integral components of the structural integrity)
Ineligible Improvements include:
- Play equipment
- Lawn care or maintenance
- Swimming pools or spas
Note, the City reserves the right to determine if a proposed improvement meets program requirements.