DISASTER DECLARATION BEING MADE FOR INDEPENDENCE -- May 25, 2019 – 12:45 PM
The Independence City Commission will meet at 2 PM, today (Saturday) at Temporary City Hall (811 W Laurel) to make a disaster declaration due to the flooding situation. The disaster declaration will allow for various resources from the State of Kansas to be made available to Independence. The meeting will be held in the Leadership Conference Room (former MRI area). Enter on the east side of the building, on the south end (double doors).
The declaration will be made after city and county officials were alerted by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers about the release of water from area lakes that feed into the Verdigris River.
The previous projection today estimated the river to rise to 44.2’ at the USGS Verdigris River Gage, however, this has been updated to rise to 47’ by Monday based on current conditions and information. A level of 49’ at the USGS Verdigris River Gage will affect the water treatment plant. Currently, the water treatment plant is fully operational.
A river height of 47’ Verdigris River Bridge gauge will cause flooding of the following locations in Independence:
- North Park Blvd between Cottonwood and Parkhurst (including the baseball field complex)
- South Pennsylvania Ave between Cedar and the South City limits
- South 8th, 9th and 10th Street between Poplar and the South City Limits
- Cement Street between Coffeyville Avenue and the South City Limits
- South 1st, 2nd, Park Blvd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th between Poplar and the South City Limits
- North Penn Avenue between Sycamore and Parkhurst
- East Sycamore Street between 5th Street and Park Blvd
- Cottonwood between 5th and Park Blvd
For a list of emergency supplies to gather and other information visit this page: http://www.independenceks.gov/342/Emergency-Management
The City of Independence will continue to monitor the situation closely and will update as conditions change. Citizens can monitor the City webpage and Facebook page for updates and in the event flooding occurs the City will use our Civic Ready Alert system. You can sign up for Civic Ready Alerts at this link: https://independence-ks-area.regroup.com/signup
David Cowan, Emergency Preparedness Director