The National Weather Service has issued a Flood Warning for Independence, Kansas. The Verdigris River is predicted to rise to near 42.1 feet on Monday. If actual rainfall amounts are greater or more concentrated than predicted upstream, river levels could rise quickly above the predicted amounts. We continue to encourage residents and business owners to complete preparations to protect their interests in case the river rises above predictions.
A river height of 42.1’ will cause flooding of the following locations in Independence:
- North Park Blvd between Cottonwood and Parkhurst (including the baseball field complex)
- South Pennsylvania Ave between Cedar and the South City limits
- South 8th, 9th and 10th Street between Birch and the South City Limits
- Cement Street between Coffeyville Avenue and the South City Limits
- South 1st, 2nd, Park Blvd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th near the South City Limits
Due to the rising Verdigris River, the City of Independence has closed the Pine Street access to the City Dam.
Citizens should be weather aware and follow warnings from local officials:
- Do not drive, swim, walk or play near flood water. Turn around, don’t drown. Never drive around barricades. Local responders use them to safely direct traffic out of flooded areas.
- If told to evacuate, do so immediately. Gather supplies in case you have to leave immediately or if services are cut off. Keep in mind each person’s specific needs, including medication. Don’t forget the needs of pets.
- Depending on where you are and the impact and the warning time of flooding, go to the safe location that you have previously identified.
For a list of emergency supplies to gather and other information visit this page: http://www.independenceks.gov/342/Emergency-Management
The City of Independence will continue to monitor the situation closely and will update as conditions change. Citizens can monitor the City webpage and Facebook page for updates and in the event, flash flooding occurs, the City will use our Civic Ready Alert system. You can sign up for Civic Ready Alerts at this link: https://independence-ks-area.regroup.com/signup
David Cowan, Emergency Preparedness Director